class-pages think-you-know think-you-know newsletters uniform-shop twitter ceop ceop school-diary

Farnborough Road Junior SchoolBelonging together, learning together, achieving together


Welcome to Farnborough Road Junior SchoolBelonging together, learning together, achieving together

A Team Double Cup Success

A Team Cup Double Success

The A team played their first rounds of the Duddy Shield and Laurie Parr Trophy before the winter break, progressing in both with resounding victories.

The first game – The Duddy Shield Preliminary Round was against Kew Woods ‘B’. With Kian away on holiday Arthur (Year 4) Weights made his debut for the A team, slotting comfortably in to midfield, came close to scoring when he struck the crossbar. The team played some fantastic passing football and created chance after chance only to be thwarted by the Kew Woods keeper, who had the game of his life, making a string of stunning saves. Ben Lawrenson scored a hat-trick, Oscar Thompson, Rico Seddon-Davidson and  Lawrie Woods each scored a brace and further goals came Ben Wareing. George Brain had a rare opportunity to play out of goal and scored his first ever competitive goal with a superb left foot shot.The final score was 12-1 to Farnborough A team but great credit should go to the Kew Woods ‘B’ team who never let their heads drop despite the score.


The second match – A quarter-final of the Laurie Parr Trophy saw the team take on Norwood in the Autumn gloom and rain. On a very narrow pitch with extremely long grass, the team soon adapted to the difficult conditions by taking the lead through a glancing header from Lucas Balshaw. The A team encountered another keeper in good form who pulled a string of saves to keep the score to 1 nil – our own keeper George Brain not wanting to go unnoticed pulled off his own stunning save diving full length to his right - pushing the ball over the crossbar.

Another well met header from a corner saw Oscar double the lead and Kian Champion made it 3 nil with a long range strike. Once again, George not wanting to be forgotten, saved a certain goal with a reflex save diving to his left and blocking the shot with an outstretched leg. Rhys Graham and Rico were providing width on the flanks and were trying all their tricks in an attempt to further increase the score however the Norwood defence stood firm!

The final third saw Oscar break twice to complete his hat-trick (and 20th of the season) with well taken strikes. Dana, captain for the week, made it a third headed goal of the match and Lawrie Woods completed a 6 pass move, from defence to attack, with the seventh goal of the game. Rico then completed the scoring for Farnborough with a brace of goals, his second seeing him break down the left, beating defender and keeper, to round both players and slot in from an impossible angle – scoring the best goal of the match. The final score was Farnborough 9 - Norwood 2. Once again the opposition were to be commended for their spirit and attitude in defeat.

The A Team now look forward to representing Southport in the Merseyside County finals of the English Schools’ F.A. next Friday and Rhys Graham will be competing along with the Year 4 team in the Southport and Formby, Everton F.C. tournament on Tuesday.